Saturday 22 December 2012

The Contiental

This piece of correspondance was purchased at a flea market after I spotted the lovely detailed letterhead for the Continental Hotel inside.
The year (1882) of the letter was also a draw. I filed it away without much thought to the content until a few months ago. After consulting the internet it appears the letter was written by Thomas Sterry Hunt, an american geologist and chemist who once taught at McGill University in Montreal. In fact, while he was teaching there in 1857 he developed the formula for a green ink that would eventually become a part of every american banknote made from 1862 onward. His other claim to fame was that in 1878 he was the first scientist to link climate change to the levels of CO2 present in the atmosphere, years before the greenhouse effect theory was put forward.
Addressed to his wife back in Montreal, the letter details what sounds like the last leg of a long trip. 


Between the dated style, and the shameful amount of time that has passed since I last wrote anything in handwriting, I was only able to transcribe about 90% of the letter. I may be mistaken in a few spots as the sentence seems to switch tense midway. Here it goes:

Feb 20, 1882

My Darling Wife,

I wrote you on friday from Boston, where I was to meet Mr. Lee. I found him too ill for business. Yesterday he was better so ? could confer together and ??? myself for this place.  I go to washington tomorrow morning for two reasons: 1st the president of my new coal co. whom had ? ? to meet in New York will be all this week in Washington where I must see him and take council with him. 
2nd The AME? Just ? and invite you ? holds here its annual meeting tuesday - thursday and I have not been at one of its reunions for two years, so I shall be able to take part therein, and meet several of my scientific friends and Mr. E.S.  
I mean to reach Washington on tuesday noon and so have some hours before the meeting ? be ? in the evening. So I shall at once call in the Alelises . I hope ? ? ? ? ? ? so I can be with you no later than Saturday morning, which will make a three weeks absence. I am sorry ? ? ? so long but ? ? ? ?  has been misfortune and I must return to do a great lash(?) at home. I am very well despite my journeying and have scarcely a trace of my ? remaining.  I hope ? I shall from my darling wife ? in my ? and by her to believe not ? ? 

Your Devoted Husband,
T. Sterry Hunt M. E.




No comments:

Post a Comment